Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 28, 2014

28mm Napoleonic French Chasseur conversion

These are some of Front Rank's 28mm French Chasseurs a Cheval. I am making a 24 man regiment, of four squadrons - one of which will be an elite company squadron. Front Rank don't make an elite company trumpeter for their Chasseurs, so I bought a regular trumpeter and then made a colpack for him with green stuff. Some times I screw up with an order and get the wrong figure for a unit. It is surprising how easily figures can be converted with a drill, knife, wire and green stuff (just like they used to do in the old days...)

So that the green stuff would be well fixed I drilled three holes around the top of the sides of the trumpeter's shako. I araldited short pins into these holes so that they stick out of the shako. Then I scored the rest of the shako to give the green stuff something to adhere to. Green stuff dries hard. Hopefully the undercoat and paint will keep everything together.

I will have to see if there is anything more I need to add to this trumpeter to "upgrade" him to the elite company.



Thursday, September 25, 2014

28mm Napoleonic French line infantry (Perry miniatures plastics)

These are Perry Miniatures plastic French Napoleonic line infantry. They are handily dispensed in 36 man units with a 6 man skirmisher screen. This is great for many of the "big battalion" wargame rule sets, like "In The Grand Manner".


28mm Dark Ages Romano-British Archers

These 28mm Dark Ages Romano-British Archers are Old Glory figures. I painted three bags of them. Each bag has thirty figures. I think that will definitely be enough for any Dark Ages battles I'm likely to have. With their plaids these figures will do nicely for Celts as well.

My basing system for 28mm Ancients/Dark Ages figures is 20mm frontage per figure with whatever depth is needed. Rather than making individual bases, which are a pain to move, I make mainly 3s, some 2s and a few 1s. That way it is possible to "make change" for casualty removal and assume different formations. The only thing you can't do is "open formation" in some systems. In that case I do singles.


Tuesday, August 5, 2014

28mm WW2 Italian Paracadutisti

Here are some more 28mm WW2 Italian Paracadutisti. I painted some earlier, which you can see on this blog, in a darker camouflage scheme. I still have one more set to paint. I will paint those in another scheme.  Finally I will mix them all up for variety and because the first pattern was accurate but too dark for miniatures.

The miniatures are from Warlord Games.


 












28mm Napoleonic Elite Russians and Perry Prussians

Here are four battalions of Elite miniatures Russian line infantry, grenadiers and Jaegers. They are in the "advancing" pose. I expected them to be advancing with their muskets at the slope, so I only bought a few, thinking they would be a pain to base. But it turns out they are as easy to base as those in the march attack pose.








Now we come to the Perry plastic Prussian line infantry. I have already painted one unit, which is in the archive for this blog. The sets come with 40 line figures and 6 volunteer jaegers. So you have enough to make up units for  the popular "big battalion" rules.






Sunday, July 6, 2014

28mm Napoleonic Prussian 1st Westphalian Regiment Fusilier battalion

These are some of my Calpe figures. So far I've only painted a few units out of 48 (infantry) plus cavalry plus artillery. The figures are based for In The Grand Manner. I made the bases deeper to accommodate the extra length needed for firing lines.

I have done this officer with a grey greatcoat. I'll probably switch him to a reserve unit and take that officer (in a Prussian blue) greatcoat.










Wednesday, June 11, 2014

28mm Bolt Action Italian Paracadutisti

I have two or three of these boxes of the splendid Bolt Action Italian paratroopers. I recently started a thread on The Miniatures Page asking about Italian paratroop camouflage and got a wealth of information. I've only painted one pattern here but I will be painting other patterns on the other boxes and then making mixed sets, which will look better and hopefully be more realistic. I went with blue "Luftwaffe" trousers here as they look great. I will do the same for the other sets except perhaps for a few pairs of field grey - you can over do a good thing.

The first image is cropped so you can see the pattern very clearly. It has been painted very precisely, which took a long time, but the whole thing is a bit dark to see in photos.  I am loath to change something just because it doesn't look as good in photos as it does in real life. This is another reason for painting other, lighter, examples of patterns on the other sets and mixing them up. I think the contrast will also look good and lift the appearance, in photos as well as in life, of the whole unit.

One final note. Some of the paras had certain jackets which were plain green. So I have done them that way.